Hawawshi is one of the famous dishes in the Egyptian cuisine, and it is widely served in most restaurants, and people from different regions and ages love it.
There are many recipes in which it is served, so it can be prepared with bread or dough, or use different fillings such as meat, chicken, and others.
Today, we present to you how to make Alexandrian Hawawshi with a successful recipe. Serve it to your family and enjoy a special lunch with them.
Ingredients for Alexandrian Hawawshi dough
- 1 kilogram of flour
- 1 small yogurt box (200 grams)
- 1/4 cup of oil
- 1 tablespoon of sugar
- 1 tablespoon of yeast
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 2 cups warm water
for the face
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons of milk
- A dash of Nescafe
- 2 tablespoons of sesame
- 2 tablespoons of black cumin
Minced meat amounts
- 1 kilogram of minced meat
- 1/4 kilogram of fat
- 2 hot peppers – chopped
- 1 kg onion, cut into small cubes
- 1 chopped tomato
- 1 teaspoon each of salt and black pepper
- A pinch of nutmeg
- 1 tablespoon of hawawshi spices (its ingredients are given below)
- A splash of sugar
How to make Alexandrian Hawawshi
- To prepare the dough, put the flour, yeast, salt and sugar in a bowl and mix well
- Put the yogurt and oil on the mixture and gradually add the water while kneading. Keep kneading for about 7 minutes until you get a cohesive and brittle dough.
- Put the dough in a bowl and cover it, then leave it to ferment in a warm place for about 45 minutes or until it doubles in size.
- Put the minced meat in a deep bowl and add onions, salt, black pepper, sugar, hot pepper, hawawshi spices, tomatoes and nutmeg, and stir well until the ingredients are completely mixed.
- After the dough has risen, cut it into balls of equal size
- Roll out the hawawshi dough balls on a lightly floured surface until smooth
- Put a quantity of the meat filling on a layer of the dough, spread it out, then put another layer of the dough on top of the meat, then close the edges of the dough
- Put the Alexandrian Hawawshi loaf in a greased oven tray with a little oil and leave it to ferment for half an hour.
- Turn on the oven at 180 degrees Celsius and turn on the grill on low heat until it gets hot
- Brush the hawawshi with a mixture of eggs, milk and Nescafe, then sprinkle some sesame and black seeds on it and place it in the hot oven on the lower shelf for about 15 minutes until it is cooked and golden on both sides.
- Remove the Alexandrian Hawawshi from the oven and serve it, and enjoy its wonderful taste for lunch
- 1 tablespoon dry coriander
- 1 teaspoon of paprika
- 1 teaspoon of Chinese kebab
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon cardamom powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
Mix all the ingredients well until they are homogeneous, then put them in a completely closed container. Use a tablespoon of the mixture for every 1 kilogram of meat.
And congratulations and healing